To apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), Form W-7 must be used for non-citizens who are not eligible to receive a Social Security Number (SSN) but need to file a Federal Tax Return with the IRS for income from U.S. sources.

Having an ITIN is important because a non-U.S. citizen who has no work authorization but in return has an income from a U.S. source is still liable to file tax returns. To identify yourself with the IRS and file your tax returns, you must have an ITIN.

While filling out Form W-7, you must provide this information;

  • The reason for applying for an ITIN
  • The name, mailing address, and if different, foreign address
  • Date of birth date and location of birth
  • Applicant’s country of origin
  • Foreign tax ID number, if he or she has one
  • The applicant’s U.S. visa number, if applicable.

While submitting your tax return, you must add your Form W-7 physically.  You can submit it in person at any IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center that performs in-person document reviews; Almost every major cities have such an assistance centers, and there is at least one in every state.

If you want to get an ITIN, but aren’t quite sure where to begin, it could be worth finding a CAA that could help you throughout the process. Many non-us residents have chosen to work with E-government LLC to simplify processes and accurate work.

E-government LLC is an IRS authorized Certified Acceptance Agent and Commercial Registered Agent in the State of Delaware.