If you’re a citizen or resident of the United States, opening a bank account is simple – you just need to apply to a bank of your choice with your SSN and the bank will take care of the rest. However, if you’re a non-resident or non-citizen, it’s a bit trickier. In this post, we’ll explore what you need in order to open a bank account in the United States as well as what papers to gather.

For non-residents or non-citizens, you’ll need to provide additional documentation in addition to your SSN or ITIN in order to open a bank account. The documentation you’ll need can vary depending on the bank, but typically includes things like your passport, visa, and proof of address. Once you have all the required documentation, you can apply to open a bank account at any bank of your choice.

Most banks in the United States require an SSN or ITIN to open an account, but this can be difficult for non-residents who don’t have one. However, it’s worth noting that there are some banks that don’t require an SSN – though they are less common than others. If you’re a non-resident or non-citizen looking to open a personal or corporate bank account in the US, these are the places you’ll likely be able to do so.

How Can Non-US-Residents Open A Bank Account in the U.S.?

If you’re not a resident of the United States, the best option for you when it comes to opening a bank account is to focus on an online banks such as Brex, Mercury and Relay. National banks usually require that you be physically present in order to open an account. The two most important names in this area are JP Morgan Chase and TD Bank.

Individuals who don’t have an SSN can obtain a personal tax number called ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) and open a bank account in America. ITIN is a processing number given to non-residents/non-citizens by the IRS for individuals who are ineligible for an SSN. You can apply ITIN with itinmama.com easily and you should be ready before your bank meeting.

Having a rental agreement can make it easier to open a bank account with an SSN or ITIN number. You can rent a virtual office for a low price in America, which will be helpful when opening a bank account from a national bank.

Bank will require following documents

  • Certificate of Formation / Article of Organization

  • EIN Letter

  • ITIN Number
  • Address of the company


Get My ITIN Now!

If you want to get an ITIN but aren’t quite sure where to begin, it could be worth finding a CAA to help you throughout the process. Many non-us residents have chosen to work with E-government LLC to simplify processes and accurate work.

E-government LLC is an IRS-authorized Certified Acceptance Agent and Commercial Registered Agent in the State of Delaware.